tisdag 28 juli 2015

The Meaning of Pluggers, part 2

Pluggers, 20150728:

Today, "Plugger" means "Old".

In the Pluggers hyperdictionary-in-motion of the single word "plugger" (I don't really want to call it a comic strip), the unpredictably shifting meaning often tends towards "old".One might even think of it as a default state.

But in my ongoing efforts to understand Pluggers, I've come to think it's more subtle than that. It's never just "old", or "Generation X working class" or anything so unspecific. Today's definition, for instance, implies that particularly advanced state of oldness where all one's old friends seem to die left and right.

And yet Mrs Chicken here is young enough to still deny her own mortality. She rubs out the names of her childhood friends with the fervent desire to forget them and move on, clinging to, nurturing the certainty it'll never happen to her.

I mean my mom died in 2012 and I have since copied her cell number to two new phones. It would be, as Neil Gaiman put it, too final a farewell. To let the memories fade, to try so hard to stay alive you forget why you live, forget to stay human, no. I won't do that.

Your humble critic's plugger status: Negative

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar